On Jun 9, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
3) Is there a plan for adding QueryParser support for the SpanQuery family?

Another important facet to Terry's question here is what syntax to use to express all various types of queries? I suspect that Google stats show us that most folks query with 1 - 3 words and do not use the any of the advanced features.

The elegance of the query syntax is quite important, and QueryParser has gotten a bit hairy. I would enjoy discussions on creating new query parsers (one size doesn't fit all, I don't think) and what syntax should be used.

Paul Elschot created a "surround" query parser that he posted about to the list in April.