From: James Dunn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 01:29 pm
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Running OutOfMemory while optimizing and searching

Ah yes, I don't think I made that clear enough.  From
Mark's original post, I believe he mentioned that he
used seperate readers for each simultaneous query.

His other issue was that he was getting an OOM during
an optimize, even when he set the JVM heap to 2GB.  He
said his index was about 10.5GB spread over ~7000
files on Linux.

My guess is that OOM might actually be a "too many
open files" error.  I have seen that type of error
being reported by the JVM as an OutOfMemory error on
Linux before.  I had the same problem but once I
switched to the new Lucene compound file format, I
haven't had that problem since.

Mark, have you tried switching to the compound file
format?

Jim