I've done a bit more snooping around; it seems that in
FieldSortedHitQueue.getCachedComparator(line 153),
calls to lookup a stored comparator in the cache
always return null.  This occurs even for the built-in
sort types (I tested it on integers and my code for
longs).  The comparators don't even appear to be being
stored in the HashMap to begin with.

Any ideas?

Greg