AFAIK you don't have to close the writer

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: When does IndexReader pick up changes?

Yes, I understand that the IndexReader only picks up changes once it is
opened.  I'm just trying to determine whether the IndexWriter first needs to
be closed or if that is not necessary.

--- Lucene Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
IndexReader will pick the changes as it is opened.
> If new documents
are added to the index you need to open a new IndexReader
> in order for
it to pick up the changes

> Aviran

July 29, 2004 0:00 AM
> To: Lucene Users List
> Subject: Re: When does IndexReader
pick up changes?

> IIRC, if you use a searcher, changes are picked
up right away. With a
> reader, I would expect it should react the same way.

> <disclaimer>I'm not a lucene guru, I might be wrong</disclaimer> Where
I'm
> less sure is with a FSDirectory, as it uses an internal RAMDirectory.
If two
> separate processes (within the same classloader, FS with same paths
are
> reused) use different FSDirectories, you might notice a flushing
> behaviour.

> sv
>
> On 28 Jul 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know if the IndexWriter has to be closed
for an
> > IndexReader to pick up the changes?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> --- Lucene Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:

Hi,

> > > If I do this:
> > >
> > >   - open index writer

  - add document

> > >   - open reader
> > >   - search with reader

> > >   - close reader
> > >   - close
> > writer
> > >
> > > Will the
reader pick up the document that
> > > was added to the
> > index since
it was opened
> > > after the document was added?  Or will it

only pick up changes that occur after
> > > the index writer is closed?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help!

> For
additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]