Hello Jeff,

I don't have Debian to try this out, and this is going to be a stupid
question and suggestion, but where/how is the CLASSPATH set?  Are any
of those commands actually using Lucene's build.xml?

I'm asking, because it looks like your compiler is not finding Reader
and IOException classes, both of which are in java.io.* package, which
I see imported in StandardTokenizer.java as 'import java.io.*;'.

Otis

--- Jeff Breidenbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am the Debian package maintainer for Lucene, and I'm having build
> problems with 1.4.1. We are very close to a major Debian release
> (code
> named 'sarge'), and the window for changes is very small. Can someone
> please help me in the next day or two, otherwise Debian stable will
> ship
> Lucene 1.4-final for the next couple of years. It looks to me like
> the
> problem is in javacc generated code, and it's not obvious to me what
> to do.
>
> For debian sarge or sid users out there who want to reproduce the
> build problem, download the lucene 1.4.1 source tarball, then:
>
>   apt-get install devscripts
>   apt-get source liblucene-java
>   cd lucene-1.4
>   uupdate -v 1.4.1 ../lucene-1.4.1-src.tar.gz
>   cd ../lucene-1.4.1
>   debuild -us -uc
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff
>
> =================
>

> compile-core:
>     [mkdir] Created dir: /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/build/classes/java
>     [javac] Compiling 160 source files to
> /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/build/classes/java
>     [javac]

/tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis/standard/StandardTokenizer.java:15:
> cannot resolve symbol
>     [javac] symbol  : class Reader
>     [javac] location: class
> org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardTokenizer
>     [javac]   public StandardTokenizer(Reader reader) {
>     [javac]                            ^
>     [javac]

/tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis/standard/StandardTokenizer.java:24: