If you use the Field.Text(String name, Reader value) version of the
Field.Text constructor, the field is tokenized and indexed but *not*
stored.  This means you will be able to search and find that document,
but to know the original contents you will have to store a copy of it
elsewhere.

The Field.Text(String name, String value) version does store the
document String itself, so that's probably the origin of the confusion.