Hi Eric,

The way I did the conversion is semi-automatic.  Here is how:

1) I wrote an Eclipse plug-in that converted the Java code such that it
gives it a C# "feel".  That is, convert
"org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsWriter" to "Lucene.Net.Index.FieldsWriter",
convert "addDocument()" to "AddDocument()", etc.  This was done by having my
plug-in utilize Eclipse's refectoring feature.

2) I used "Java Language Conversion Assistant" found here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/jlca/ to convert the Java
code to C#.

3) The JLCA conversion in #2 left behind a lot of code unconverted.  For
dotLucene 1.4.0 I finished the job by hand, for 1.4.3, I wrote a C# tool to
finish the job (not 100% but more than 95%.)

This is it.  For 1.4.0, I did the conversion from the original 1.4.0 Java
code.  For 1.4.3 conversion that I started last night, I first run a 'diff'
between 1.4.0 and 1.4.3 of the Java code and will have to convert only the
modified codes.

Ver. 1.4.0 took me about 1 month to get it to alpha quality (where I get
almost 90% of the JUnit test to pass).  For Ver. 1.4.3, I expect to have it
complete by next week -- an RC1 quality.  Keep in mind, I am doing this as a
side task after hours.  After all, I have a day job to keep.  :)

I don't know how Lucene.Net 1.3 was converted to C# by Pasha Bizhan but I
like to hear from him.

Thanks for pointing me to JUnitPerf, I didn't know about it.  I think I can
port it to C# in no time. :)  Yes, having a standard performance/load test
for Lucene would be the next logical thing to do.

Regards,

-- George Aroush