: I'm assuming that this must have something to do with how the date field
: enumerates against the matches with 'by the second' granularity - and
: thereby exceeding the maximum number of boolean clauses (please correct me
: if I am wrong).

I'm not so certain .. if you were really exceeding the max boolean clauses
limit, you should get a "TooManyClauses" exception

: Is there some way to reduce the granularity of the search to 'by the day'
: granularity? Otherwise is there some way to perform this query so that I can
: retrieve the results without error?

take a look at the RangeFilter class i recently sent to the list (and is
now in cvs) ... in exchange for giving up scoring, it doesn't suffer any
of the Boolean Clause limitations of RangeQuery.

-Hoss