erik, thanks for the reply

i get the filter know and understand how the caching works.  however the
caching is only on the filtering level which means i can cache results
that are filtered.  but if i do a basic search against the index and
want to cache that, do i need to create my own caching mechanism or does
the SearchIndexer cache the results already?  if it caches them already,
then to clear the cache, is it again removing any references to the
SearchIndexer instance?

thanks again,
ben