thanks chris,

you are correct that i'm not sure if i need the caching ability.  it is
more to understand right now so that if we do need to implement it, i am
able to.

the reason for the caching is that we will have listing pages for
certain content types.  for example a listing page of articles.  this
listing will be generated against lucene engine using a basic query.
the page will also have the ability to filter the articles based on date
range as one example.  so caching those results could be beneficial.

however, we will also potentially want to cache the basic query so that
subsequent queries will hit a cache.  when new content is published or
content is removed from the site, the caches will need to be invalidated
so new results are created.

for the basic query, is there any caching mechanism built into the
SearchIndexer or do we need to build our own caching mechanism?

thanks
ben