Use one index, working with a single index is simpler.  Also, once you
pull a Document from Hits object, all Fields are read off of the disk.

There was some discussion about selective Field reading about a week
ago, check the list archives.  Also keep in mind Field compression is
now possible (only with unreleased version in CVS).

Otis