I would be tempted to index the text fields but not save them. Since Lucene returns everything as Otis pointed out, it's inefficent to keep rarely used data in as content in the index. Put the text fields in a database or a file tree somewhere and keep a pointer to it as a field in the index. When you need the data just retrieve it from wherever using the saved pointer.

Jim.

Crump, Michael wrote:

Hello,

If I have large text fields that are rarely retrieved but need to be
searched often - Is it better to create 2 indices, one for searching and
one for retrieval, or just one index and put everything in it?

Or are there other recommendations?

Regards,

Michael