Without looking at the source, my guess is that StandardAnalyzer (and
StandardTokenizer) is the culprit.  The StandardAnalyzer grammar (in
StandardTokenizer.jj) is probably defined so "x/y" parses into two
tokens, "x" and "y".  "s" is a default stopword (see
StopAnalyzer.ENGLISH_STOP_WORDS), so it gets filtered out, while "p"
does not.

To get what you want, you can use a WhitespaceAnalyzer, write your own
custom Analyzer or Tokenizer, or modify the StandardTokenizer.jj
grammar to suit your needs.  WhitespaceAnalyzer is much simpler than
StandardAnalyzer, so you may see some other things being tokenized
differently.

-Chris