As they say, nothing lasts forever ;)

I like the idea.  If a project like this gets going, I think I'd be
interested in helping.

The Google mini looks very well done (they have two demos on the web
page).  For $5000, it's probably a very good solution for many
businesses.  If the demos are accurate, it seems like you almost
literally plug it in, configure a few things using the web interface,
and you're in business.   Demos are at
http://www.google.com/enterprise/mini/product_tours_demos.html

-chris