I am using Java 1.1 with a Sharp Zaurus PDA. I have very limited memory
constraints. I do not think CPU performance is a big issues though. But I
have other parts in my application which use quite a lot of memory and
soemthing run short. I therefore do not look into solutions which build up
tag trees etc. More like a solution who reads a stream of HTML and
transforms it into a stream of text.

I see your point of using an external program. I am however not entirely
sure if this is available. Also it would be much simpler to have a 3-5 kB
solution in Java, perhaps encapsulated in a class which does the job without
the need for advanced libraries which need 100-200 KB on my internal
storage.

I hope I could clarify my situation now.

Cheers,
Karl

> Karl Koch wrote:
>
> >Hello Sergiu,
> >
> >thank you for your help so far. I appreciate it.
> >
> >I am working with Java 1.1 which does not include regular expressions.
> >

> Why are you using Java 1.1? Are you so limited in resources?
> What operating system do you use?
> I asume that you just need to index the html files, and you need a
> html2txt conversion.
> If  an external converter si a solution for you, you can use
> Runtime.executeCommnand(...) to run the converter that will extract the
> information from your HTMLs
> and generate a .txt file. Then you can use a reader to index the txt.
>
> As I told you before, the best solution depends on your constraints
> (time, effort, hardware, performance) and requirements :)
>
>   Best,
>
>   Sergiu
>
> >Your turn ;-)
> >Karl

> use
> (e.g.

> >>if you are using only correct formated HTML pages and you are in control
> >>of these pages.
> >>you can use a regular exprestion to remove the tags.
> >>
> >>something like
> >>replaceAll("<*>","");
> >>
> >>This is the ideea behind the operation. If you will search on google you
> >>will find a more robust
> >>regular expression.
> >>
> >>Using a simple regular expression will be a very cheap solution, that
> >>can cause you a lot of problems in the future.
> >>
> >> It's up to you to use it ....
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Sergiu

> >>more

> >>size.

> eliminate

> HTML

> structure

> parser

> give

> it

> >>validation

> go

> for

GMX im TV ... Die Gedanken sind frei ... Schon gesehen?
Jetzt Spot online ansehen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/tv-spot