Kevin A. Burton wrote:
Whats the desired pattern of using of TermInfosWriter.indexInterval ?

There isn't one. It is not a part of the public API. It is an unsupported internal feature.

Do I have to compile my own version of Lucene to change this?

Yes.

The last API was public static final but this is not public nor static.

It was never public. It used to be static and final, but is now an instance variable.

I'm wondering if we should just make this a value that can be set at runtime. Considering the memory savings for larger installs this can/will be important.

The place to put getter/setters would be IndexWriter, since that's the public home of all other index parameters. Some changes to DocumentWriter and SegmentMerger would be required to pass this value through to TermInfosWriter from IndexWriter.

Doug