Am Mittwoch 19 Mai 2010, um 10:33:04 schrieben Sie:
> On 2010-05-19, at 01:40, Heiko Schröter wrote:
> > we would like to know which way lustre is heading.
> >
> >> From the s/w repository we see that only redhat and suse ditros seems to
> >> be supported.
> >
> > Is this the official policy of the lustre development to stick to (only)
> > these two distros ?
>
> On the client side, we will support the main distros that our customers are
> using, namely RHEL/OEL/CentOS 5.x (and 6.x after release), and SLES 10/11.
> We make a best-effort attempt to have the client work with all client
> kernels, but since our resources are limited we cannot test kernels other
> than the supported ones.  I don't see any huge demand for e.g. an
> officially-supported Ubuntu client kernel, but there has long been an
> unofficial Debian lustre package.
>
> On the server side, we will continue to support RHEL5.x and SLES10/11 for the
> Lustre 1.8 release, and RHEL 5.x (6.x is being worked on) for the Lustre 2.x
> release.  Since maintaining kernel patches for other kernels is a lot of
> work, we do not attempt to provide patches for other than official kernels.
> However, there have in the past been ports of the kernel patches to other
> kernels by external contributors (e.g. FC11, FC12, etc) and this will
> hopefully continue in the future.

The server side is the more critical part as we are using gentoo+lustre running
a vanilla kernel 2.6.22.19 with the lustre patches version 1.6.6.
As far as we are concerned it would be nice to have the pathces for the
"vanilla-kernels" in 1.8.3+. This would be just fine.

On the other hand if maintaining is the key problem on your side what would be
a major argument against using a patched sles/rhel on a lustre server not
running the sles/rhel distro ?
I know a lot of things can happen but are these rhel/sles patches do brake some
key features of the kernel which would  only work under that specific distro ?
I've positivley tested a lustre client with a sles patched kernel on a gentoo
distro. But i'am a bit nervous about testing it on our live lustre server
system.

> > If not, then the sun src patches are still missing in the lustre AND
> > e2fsprogs branches.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  The e2fsprogs patches have always been in a
> separate repository from the core Lustre code, and all of the Lustre/ldiskfs
> kernel patches are in the Git repository.

I know. But the patches are missing for 1.41.10 in that repo. i.e. as this here
"e2fsprogs-1.41.6.sun1-patches.tgz"

Thanks very much for your help.
Regards
Heiko