Michael:

    The reason I had to do it on the OST's is because when issuing the
mkfs.lustre command to build the OST it would error out with the message
that I should use the force_over_8tb mount option. I was not able to
create an OST on that device without the force_over_8tb option.

Your insights on the writeconf are excellent: good to know that
writeconf is solid. Thank you.

Theo