   From: David Van Edwards <da...@vanedwards.co.uk>
   To: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Cc: "luthiste@gmail com" <luthi...@gmail.com>; "lute-builder@cs
   dartmouth. edu" <lute-builder@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 12 March 2015, 11:52
   Subject: [LUTE-BUILDER] Re: Tied frets
     Dear Bill and Benjamin,
     I forgot to add that the purpose of the roller head on the theorbo
     appears to be simply to put the upper pegs within reach of the player
     without the need to stand up, rather than to shorten the diapasons.
     Though it does also reduce the overall length, because effectively
   the
     upper pegbox is below the nut, thus saving 4 or 5 inches of length.
     Incidentally these instruments appear moderately frequently in the
     iconography even though they have been totally ignored, as far as I
     know, by makers and players. Andreas Schlegel gave a paper about
     ignored lute types in Utrecht a couple of years ago and proposed that
     this type be called the Netherlandish theorbo as all the iconography
   is
     linked to the Netherlands.
     So far I've found 10 images of roller-headed theorbos, from 7
   different
     artists.
     As to the Buechenberg, I haven't examined it but Joel Dugot notes in
     his catalogue entry that the bridge and soundboard are of recent and
     mediocre work and that only the marquetry is of high quality. However
     the marquetry on the fingerboard has been done without leaving a
   space
     for the lower nut, so he concludes that the whole "reconstruction"
     project was done solely for appearance.
     Maybe Bill you'll be the first to make a roller-headed theorbo, it
     seems like a very viable type...................
     Best wishes,
     David