Njaal,

   There is an excellent forum for guitar builders you might wish to look
   at.

   mimf.com

   below are a few quotes from the forum pertaining to your question.

   If you find this helpful, there is over 10 years of accumulated
   knowledge in the two libraries they maintain on the site

   Faulk, Stephen - 06/10/2011.14:46:54
   What do you think the guys in the 19th century used? They glued them
   down with hide glue right to the finish. They usually used maple veneer
   as a tap plate. You can also glue Mylar to French polish or lacquer
   with white glue or hide glue.
   Here's the way I explained it once before. I would not choose that glue
   again however, just use plain Elmers white glue with drop of water in
   it:
   http://www.mimf.com/library/faulk_golpeadore.htm
   Today many people will use the self adhesive products, but there are
   many makers who will not and use white glue. If you're doing a clear
   tap plate, white glue was the go to glue for many years. Usually if you
   do opaque tap plates, like some people like the mid century look of
   white tap plates hide glue works great, if you can work fast.
   White glue looks strange at first under the clear plastic, it takes
   about week to dry, but once it's dry if there are no bubbles it will
   last a long time. Then to remove it, water is the solvent.
   I think it's just a difference in convention between steel string
   construction and classical/nylon string construction and repair. both
   ways work. The problem with gluing a tap plate or pick guard onto a
   flamenco or classical guitar before the instrument is finished is that
   it makes it very difficult to change the tap plate when it wears out
   and then it has to go back in the same place. Often when a guitar
   changes hands the new owner will ask for a repair person to change the
   top plate to a size that suits them better, if it had been glued to
   bare wood, then the choice of size and placement is taken away.
   Flamenco guitarists would probably not touch an instrument that you
   don't have that choice to make.
   The other thing with white glue is that if a tap plate decides to
   shrink it usually peels up before it does any damage to the instrument.
   If the top is finished it usually stays pretty flat and the old plate
   can be peeled up. It's not like a pick guard on a steel string guitar,
   where you see them so shrunken they have gaps around the perimeter with
   bare wood showing.

   The most traditional method I know of is to use hide glue to adhere an
   opaque plastic tap plate to a guitar. Many older flamenco guitars are
   or were done this way. Hide glue can be used to adhere a clear tap
   plate as well but it is tricky to do because the hide glue jells
   quickly. I have a small patch of plastic on my own working guitar that
   is an extension to the main tap plate and it is glued with hide glue.
   It has been on this working guitar for over 4 years of constant use.
   The other glue used frequently in adhering a golpeador is plain Elmers
   white glue. Some use it at full strength and some hit it with a few
   drops of water. I tend to favor this method as it is the time tested
   way and it is the easiest to reverse. The Elmers glue will dry over a
   period of a few days to a week or so depending on the weather
   conditions. While the glue is drying it's best to periodically inspect
   to see that the edges do not pull up.
   Adhesive backed plastics are used a great deal on commercially made
   flamenco guitars. The basic method for removal is to test to see
   whether it is a water based glue. If it is not water based you can
   pretty much bet it's a self adhesive backed plastic. Judicious use of
   heat from a light bulb or hair dryer will soften the bond of the glue
   and in some cases naptha will dissolve this organic based glue.
   My sources for this information are several consultations with Chris
   Berkov, a fine Northern California guitar maker and through direct
   study with Eugene Clark. The information on using Naptha as a solvent
   for this type of organic glue was double checked with Mel Wong a noted
   professional lute maker who is a professional biochemist. To my present
   knowledge this information is tried and true. I understand there are
   other methods, but I have not used them or experimented with them.
   In the case of the man who trapped water under the tap plate, I said
   that it might be possible for that water to evaporate and for the
   french polish to turn back to it's original color based on the
   understanding that Elmers glue trapped under a tap plate will dry and
   will not damage a shellac surface. I advocated being patient for a few
   days while monitoring the progress of the drying process to see if it
   would clear. Apparently it did not. I think he had a success in the end
   by removing the plastic and doing it over.
   By far the most treacherous thing one can do with a gopeador, is to
   remove one that is made from self adhesive backed material. If not done
   properly it could result in removing wood and finish from the top of
   the guitar. It needs to be done slowly and carefully.
   I do like the maple tap plates. I've done that a couple times. I only
   do it if they ask over and over and won't have it any other way for it
   because they don't procect the guitar enough from aggressive playing.
   People who play dance accompaniment want big sheets of plastic, you can
   tear up a guitar unless you have more protection.

   Randy Roberts