On 3/6/2017 3:50 PM, Mark Day wrote:
    I should add that rag paper or cloth was used for reinforcement of
    joints on the backs of all of these early stringed instruments in lieu
    of wood.

Thanks. I'd forgotten about the use of cloth for reinforcement of the backs.

It would seem, then, that many flat-backed, plucked instruments, including folk instruments, after about 1800 have a lot more internal wood for joining back and soundboard to the sides than in earlier times. I wonder what caused the change?

Stuart

    On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Mark Day <[1]lautenmac...@gmail.com>