Michael Thames at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> When I was visiting the Yale Museum of Instruments this past summer,
>I had an interesting conversation with the curator about Baroque 415
>pitch. He said that Baroque pitch ranged from country and city anywhere
> from 300 something up to I believe around 560, (I can't remember
> exactly),and that "the horrible group called the early music society"
> simply established it at 415, not based on actual evidence?  Just
> figured they would set it a half step below A 440.  Is there anyway to
> know the exact pitch of the city of less say, Dresden at the time of
> Bach and Weiss, based on what wind instruments were tuned to made during
> this time? Or any other historical evidence?

He's right about the enormous local variations in pitch, but the business
about "the horrible group called the early music society" sounds like cheap
conspiracy theory.

Woodwind instruments, the occasional tuning fork (Beethoven's is still
around, I think) or whatever, and organs (assuming they haven't been
retuned) are the principal evidence of pitch.  Bruce Haynes did a two-volume
survey of local pitches at as many times and places as he could put
together.  I don't know how accurate his work is; I looked briefly at Ray
Nurse's copy during a seminar a few years ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if
the latest Grove's has some detailed article on pitch.

In the modern international early music community, you have to have standard
pitches if you're going to use woodwinds.  A bassoon player can't afford to
buy and maintain 30 different instruments.  Nor does it make sense to retune
between the Handel concerto at A=415 (London pitch in his day) and some
other piece at A=405 or A=425.  So there are a handful of standard pitches,
the most prominent of which are spaced half steps apart (A=392, A=415,
A=440, A=466) which has the advantage, from the keyboard players' point of
view, of allowing a quick transposition by moving the keyboard over one key
and then (if the temperament is unequal) touching up the tuning. There are
also "Classical" pitches, which tend toward A=430 or so.

I just did a concert of Hotteterre's flute music at A=392, a pitch which
became common all over Europe precisely because the Hottetere family's
instruments were made at that (Parisian) pitch, and if you wanted those
newfangled flutes, oboes and bassoons in the late 17th century, you got them
from Paris at Parisian pitch.  They would therefore dictate the pitch of
Purcell's music with oboes.  They were also apparently the reason that there
were two pitches, a whole tone apart, in Bach's Leipzig and other German
cities: high "choir" pitch and low "chamber pitch" (if I recall correctly,
440 and 392, respectively).  Parts for some of Bach's cantatas reflect this
spread.