David,

What a pleasant message. With my apologies to the list for not editing out
our dialogue below (as I don't have time tonight to trim the message) I'll
add a few notes that may be of interest. I started with folk in 1949 for
some reason . I think it was probably part interest in my heritage and
partly because I was a fourteen year old breaking the rules by listening to
WWVA with the radio under my covers after my bedtime. Whatever, they played
Burl Ives and Leadbelly, John Jacob Niles and Woody Guthrie - and all sorts
of others. I made a mountain dulcimer recently because of old memories of
Jean Ritchie.

I mentioned singing with the Clancy's and Tommy Makem in 1961 (off stage, at
the local churches). I didn't mention my last gig before taking "straight"
employment. I got back from SF of a Sunday afternoon and went to Gerde's
Folk City (the old location) in NYC. Ed McCurdy was at the bar. The amateurs
held the audience for about five to ten minutes until one Bob Zimmerman took
the stage in his RR engineers cap and with his neck braced harmonica and
guitar. He held them for a half hour, and McCurdy left the bar to listen. I
borrowed a guitar and took the stage, also held them for a half hour and got
the attendance of McCurdy. My last night, and Bob Dylan's first. McCurdy
took us both out for drinks (although Zimmerman was under age).

And one more, several years later as an IBM salesman I hung out in a place
called Two Guitars (a Russian place, the name from the song Dve Guitare).
Theo Bikel was a regular customer as well, we both loved Sashka Polinoff's
balalaika. One night Sashka was a bit under the weather and Bikel and I
swapped sets to cover him. It was from Theo I learned to sing in Russian and
Rumanian.

And (my lady says ask Murphy the time and he'll tell you how to build a
watch) may I add a comment on what is traditional. There is a song called
Scarborough Fair, sung by Simon and Garfunkel in a Dorian mode, and it is in
many songbooks with their melody and word and attributed as Traditional
English. Not so, the traditional song was in a major tonic (Ionian), and was
a male/female response song (like Reuben, Rueben or Paper of Pins). Their
melody is quite pretty, but not old - my point being that we can never be
sure what is really old unless we see the original music. The lute list is
obviously working with old texts in French Tabulature, as I'm doing in
trying to learn on the retuned guitar. But I will say that when S&G's
Scarborough Fair came out I made my own song by alternating the old words of
the male and female, and using their Dorian for the female and the old
Ionian for the male. It works well. Should anyone want the full text of the
song, which gives it meaning, I'd be happy to type it out.

Said more than I intended, a curse that we who had to learn to touch type in
high school have. Our college papers were written on manual typewriters
(which is an advantage for string players, it builds finger strength).

Best, Jon