Yes, I know of all of these places and they're wonderful. But, there is nothing
quite like http://www.sourceforge.net which is a place to find free/shareware
software that is being written by groups all over the world. The current
approach in the lute community is analagous to the "lute book" approach of old
-- a little bit is here, a little bit is there etc. Maybe this decentralized
approach is the best, but I wanted to offer up an alternative idea. A place
where you could pull up all of Dowland's work on one page with multiple
versions of the same piece -- with user comments regarding the accuracy,
quality -- and give the editor a coin for his/her hard work. This repository
could be "mirrored" in multiple places in the world to provide faster access.
It does have some advantages over the decentralized approach in terms of ease
of use, archiving and distribution IMHO.

--- Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've wondered if it would be possible to make a shareware style repository
> of
> > lute tab files such that they could be downloaded and used for free. A
> > donation
> > could be made to the compiler/editor/composer via a simple PayPal
> interface.
> There are places on the web that do just that: Alain Veylit, Richard Civiol,
> Paulo Galvao, Jean-Daniel Forget all offer gratis e-editions of considerable
> refinement for both Baroque and Renaissance lutes as well as Baroque Guitar.
> Yours truly offers some specialized Baroque Lute material [tombeaux and
> songs with obbligato lute] equally free of charge.
> RT
> Roman M. Turovsky
> http://polyhymnion.org/swv

=====