De : Taco Walstra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Envoyé : mercredi 15 octobre 2003 16:43
Ŕ : lutelist
Objet : Re: Dowland

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 15:19, Chris Schaub wrote:
! Also,
> just because we think a piece is virtuosic does not mean Dowland or his
> contemporaries did!

That last sentence is known: already in his time dowland was known as a
virtuosic player appreciated by several members of the upper class, so the
pieces were certainly thought of as virtuosic in his time. Just like the
opinion about pieces by Terzi.
Although Lachrimae is experienced by us, 21th century lutenists, as a piece
with a great sense of tragedy, it is difficult to know how people
experienced
this in the time Dowland himself. All heavy subjects on death and tears were

in 16th century popular themes, just as some themes are popular in 21th
century songs. So, if Roman thinks that it's out of the question that
lachrimae is a dance, I think this is because we as 21th century have a
different experience of this piece compared with dowlands contemporaries.
I think it could have been very well a dancable piece.
Taco Walstra