----- Original Message -----
From: Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 23 October 2003 19:48
Subject: How long can a lute last?

> Excuse me if I'm raising an already-discussed subject.
>
> Are there any good-sounding old lutes?  Or do lutes inevitably decay, like
> fallen trees in ancient forests?

Dear Herbert,

If by "old" you mean dating from the 16th/17th/18th centuries, the answer is yes, but
very few, because very few lutes have been restored to a playable state, and even
then, sometimes with unrealistically low string tensions.  I'm sure others can fill in
the details on this one.

If you mean lutes which are 20 years old versus new ones, I am personally very
convinced of the virtues of age.  The 20 year-old lutes seem to have acquired a
"freeness", long resonance and good balance.  It is pretty nearly impossible to tell
of course, but subjectively it seems to be so.  I have three lutes of roughly 20
years, and they are all (I think) even better than when they were new.

My guess is that one of the changes is an increased hardness of the soundboard due to
oxidization of resins, etc., plus presumably the effect of being played.  But as with
wine, no amount of age will turn an indifferent one into a good one.

Best wishes,

Martin