Another example of absolutism.

> >> But as with wine, no amount of age will turn an indifferent one into a
good
> >> one.
> > I've found that with wine, many an indifferent one has been turned into
> > a good one.
> >
> And later to vinegar.

It is not just the quality but also the nature of the grape. A Beaujolais or
a Cotes du Rhone is best when it is young, Bordeau's (American spelling)
improve with age (to a limit). Distilled wines or whiskeys (brandies and
fine malts) also improve with aging (but also with a limit, but a much
longer limit). The same applies to instruments. You of this list are used to
the lute which is of the family of the violin in the sense of construction
(yes, I know the lute is older). The family I refer to is that of
instruments that are sound boxes of one shape or another, with strings
pressing down on a bridge (guitar, mountain dulcimer, and even psaltery).
Another family is the harp family where the strings exert a direct pull on
the soundboard and sound box. (The psaltery is played like a one handed
harp, and is ancient, but is constructed more like a lute in the sense that
the strings press through a bridge).

An aged harp may not take the strain as the wood becomes tired from the
direct pull, but the seasoning of the wood of a lute or violin may make it
improve over time (witness the Strads and Amatis). When one sets up a new
harp one has to wait for the soundboard to "belly" before it gets good tone
(and consistant pitch). It has to bcome a bit pregnant with a three
dimensional belly before it is really ready to play. The bridged instruments
don't want that change of shape. It takes about two months of being strung
before a harp soundboard assumes its shape, whether home built or factory
built (most harpists don't know this as they buy a finished and prestrung
instrument, they don't know it has been aged in the shop).

And I might add that people become better with age, if they start as
quality. But regretfully even we have limitations to our improvement, our th
ree score years and ten (but being so close to that, and with every intent
of making a record, I'd expand that to five score years, I don't expect to
beat that).

Best, Jon