FROM:   Roman Turovsky, INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote

<><><>>. Previously he had been working in a garment co-op next to (and
living near) Kiev's Lutheran church in the Friedrich Engels Street (where
my father was baptized in 1933). Even earlier, in 1926 he married a lady
surnamed Saucheck (sic!), and whose descendant once asked a simple question
on the lute-net "Wasn't PO'D the one who discovered the Königsberg Ms?" The
rest is history. <><><>><>
=================================
I can confirm that what Roman Turovsky writes about "P O'D's" having
discovered the Koenigsberg Lute Manusctipt is correct.

Paul O'Dette also told me (and others) the same thing.  He is the person
who really deserves our thanks.  Without his discovery of the WHEREABOUTS
of the manuscript, it would probably still be gathering dust, held in
secret on an unknown library shelf.  You haven't a claim of discovery if
you can't tell WHERE something is located.

According to what Paul told me, it was at a gathering at Diana Poulton's
f;lat in London that he made the discovery.  Ms. Poulton had received a
mysterious packet with pieces by Dowland.  Not just one page as Ophee
asserts. There was no return address or identification of the sender.  Some
pages had the oval of what might be a library stamp.  In order to hide the
library name, the sender had obliterated the ovals with a black marking
pen. And for very good reason.  As we have seen, the manuscript had been
stolen.

It was an easy matter to determine that the Xeroxes were of the famous
Koenigsberg Lute Manuscript, which had been described with a complete and
tantilizing list of contents in a history of Prussian lute music publ. in
1936 (RT's "Kossack").

Of special interest is that it can be associated with a troupe of English
actors led by John Spencer, who had been appointed "Brandennburg Cammer
Musicus vnnd Comoediant" in 1604 at an unusually high salary..  The large
troupe of 19 actors and 16 musicians were in residence at the Brandenberg
Court in K'berg.  They were later associated in  Amsterdam with Nicolas
Vallet, who was not only a distinguished lute virtuoso, but ran a dancing
school as well.  I believe there is a "Lachrimae" in one of his books, too.

For example, two unique pieces in the manuscript were titled "Allemande ā
Globe."  Even the psalms (which I discovered were from the Goudimel
psalter) would be used by the actors, because on Sunday following Vespers
they presented religious plays.  I don't know if they danced to the several
versions of "Lachrimae" in the manuscript, but one was for bandora.  There
is more English bandora music in the K'berg Manuscript than in any other
single source, and it includes  both solos and consort parts.

The crucial question was not what the manuscript was, but WHERE was the
manuscript.  Through some clever, on the spot detective work,  Paul
discovered the WHERE.  He "announced" (his word) his discovery to the
Poulton gathering, which included Ophee (and Crawford?):  the manuscript
was in the library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences in Vilnius.

With this information it was easy for Ophee to get Xeroxes, and to order
the micorfilm.  I recall all went very smoothly. This intrigue with KGB
agents, etc., is simply typical Ophee hype.

Alas Oprhee concealed from us that Paul O'Dette had told him where to find
the manuscript.  As a result to our embarrassment, Dr. John M. Ward and I
did not properly acknowledge Paul's central contribution in our
publication.

Oh, yes.  How did Paul make his discovery?

What the anonymous sender _should_ have done, was to re-xerox the Xeroxes
with the obliterated ovals and mail the second generation Xeroxes.  But
instead she/he sent the marked up pages.  Paul was able to read the library
stamp beneath the obliteration by holding the paper in front of a strong
light, something noone else had thought to do. And thus Paul O'Dette made
the remarkable re-discovery of a very interesting manuscript.  We are all
enriched because of him.

This should end this thread for me. Sorry the exchange has gotten ugly at
times.  But I did wish to set the record straight, once and for all.

ajn.
<>