Gernot,

Rites are manners within a culture. And universal manners should involve
learning the rites of one's host and observing them (although I'm not sure
I'd go along with that if my host were a cannibal - there are limits).

My late father was a life long physicist at Bell Labs (and claims the idea
for the principle of the transistor despite Shockley's Nobel). When he
retired he went to The Rockefeller Institute (now University) as a guest
investigator. He was quite concerned that they addressed him as Dr., as he
didn't have his PhD - he was afraid they'd find him a fraud. I pointed out
that they knew perfectly well that he didn't have the formal doctorate, but
that the were using the title as an honorific because of his knowledge and
position.

As to the American spelling of Habsburg, we have the tendency to modify
foreign spellings to fit the perceived sound. The English may colour their
language, we color it. But I won't belabour (belabor) that point.

Best, Jon