May I point out that the word knick-knack might be just a word? We speak of
knick-knack shelf as a place to put little things and memorabilia. It is
said that even Freud said "sometimes a cigar is not a symbol, just a good
smoke". But for those looking for symbolism there is the "ring around a
rosie" that was probably a game from the Black Plague as it describes the
symptoms, then the attempted cure (posies), and the result (we all fall
down). My opinion is that Knick-knack Paddy whack is a rhyming sound rather
than a meaning, but that is a guess.

Best, Jon