Here we go again, the rank beginner with a basic question. What are we
talking about?

I was recently emailed a couple of paragraphs from a lute instructional
regarding the right hand - it spoke of "thumb under" and "thumb over". And
I've heard the terms used on this list. I'd been trying to figure whether
"thumb under" meant an upstroke from below the strings (difficult in the
middle courses), or what. When the excerpt said to make the arm parallel to
the strings for "thumb under" I figured out that under must meant closer to
the bridge than the forefinger, and over the converse. Now then, is thumb
in/out another way of saying the same thing - or a different thing entirely.

I know I've said that I have over fifty years on the guitar, but never the
classical (although my preferred instrument is the classical neck width and
bridge). It was all self taught finger pickin' accompanyment to my rather
eclectic folk singing repertoire (all traditional old tunes). So perhaps I
should know about the thumb from the guitar, but I don't. (But I will say
that if my interpretation is right I used both in and out, or under and
over, depending on the nature of the song. Thumb out allows a rather raucous
"brushing" with the middle and ring fingers, while thumb in works better
when trying to make a "medieval riff" between phrases - perhaps I was
unconciously trying to mimic the lute. The driving beat of a "John Henry" is
quite different than the tender picking on a "Three Ravens".)

Pardon that my typing fingers have run away again, I wish they were as quick
on the instrument. The two answers I'm seeking are: Is my assumption that
"under" or "in" implies a point closer to the bridge than the forefinger,
not an angle of stroke? And, is there any site with a description of the
several right hand techniques?

I've tried setting RH fingers to specific courses, and I've tried working
them freely (for instance alternating RH fingers for fast runs on a single
course, or even note). And I've tried hammer on and pick off for quick
sixteenths. My guess is that the proper technique is a mixture of all of
them - but I'd like to start with a traditional technique and work in my own
variations from there.

Best, Jon