This is the old chestnut which comes out every year!

When I joined this list around 7-8 years ago, I was corrected by one of our erstwhile
antipodean lutenists thus..

Thumb-in = Early lute technique (fast-runs and fewer courses)
Thumb-out = Later lute technique (More bass strings to contend with)
Thumb-over = Guitarist's cheat for playing F-major
Thumb-under = An illegal move in Rugby Football

Best Wishes

Ron (UK)

Jon Murphy wrote:
I was recently emailed a couple of paragraphs from a lute instructional
regarding the right hand - it spoke of "thumb under" and "thumb over".  Now then, is
thumb
in/out another way of saying the same thing - or a different thing entirely.