Dear James,

Mammoth tusks are about and supposedly legally acquired from the
permafrost of Siberia. I was recently offered such tusks but the
expense was very high. The pictures though were amazing and I put one
up on the web at http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/tusks.htm

They supposedly came from archeological digs but with the Russian
economy I do wonder how legally. Maybe I'll be offered weapons grade
plutonium next.

Dick GmbH of Germany sells mammoth ivory machined into blanks for
baroque violin bow frogs, it's fabulously expensive but at least
there's no waste. The stuff looks so like ordinary ivory that there's
plenty of room for doubt about whether it really came from Siberian
permafrost. I just hope so.

Best wishes,

David

--