This is a really good point, and one that I'm starting to agree with the more I
dig into this mess. I can't see how anyone publishing lute books can be making
a profit and paying the full license fees to the owner -- unless they are doing
it under the guise of an academic publication. I've heard that libraries and
museums charge less (or free) if they think the intent of your quest is
academic. Poulton's Dowland book, for example, has all of Dowland's solo lute
music from many different sources in one large volume -- did she pay rights to
sell this music as a for-profit, music publisher or an academic? Many players
use her editions for performance (O'Dette, Consort of Early Musike ...).
Interesting loophole, and I wonder how many other publishers are getting around
the heavy license fees by citing academic, not profit-based, motives? In the
lute world, this wouldn't be totally untrue since there are so few players that
actually purchase these books -- mostly libraries I guess. For example, I have
been quoted a price of 500 hundred pounds (GBP) for unlimited distribution
rights to Dowland's First Book of Songs in facsimile by the owning library. I
was just using this is an example since it's pretty common -- I'm not going to
publish this book! Anyway, how many copies at say $20 USD each do you have to
sell to make a profit in the clear? I can't see how anyone can be profitable
doing this based on market demand? Seems crazy really.

So, does anyone else think it might be a good idea to have a lawyer (and
publishers?) give a workshop at the next LSA meeting? In an effort to help
folks understand what's involved in producing editions of early music. Just a
thought. It might help promote more folks getting involved in producing
editions.

I should mention that my initial intent for all of these questions was trying
to see if there was a way to better facilitate access to primary lute materials
and derived, readable player's editions. Sort of like a project Gutenberg for
all lute and related music -- the repertoire isn't growing terribly fast and it
seemed like a workable long-term effort. The archived music and editions could
be mirrored in USA, Europe and Asia to provide fast, redundant access. Maybe a
joint effort of all known lute societies? I know there are many great efforts
to provide free lute music on the net, I was just exploring a larger idea that
enforced some standards and allowed for collaboration and review. I've just
about given up on ever aquiring facsimiles due to cost, but I'm still
interested in the legalities of producing nice player's editions. A larger idea
that might end up as a proposal to the LSA and others if I can get a sufficient
handle on the legal issues.

Thanks for all who have replied.

Chris

=====