I always find it curious when people say that Dowland switched to thumb-out as
if he'd abandoned thumb-under. Imagine (close your eyes, it helps) the best
lute player in the world today, he has been playing thumb-under for most of his
career. If he switches his technique to thumb-out, do you think he's going to
relearn all of his old pieces with the new technique? I seriously doubt it --
too much work for little gain. If Dowland did switch, I'll bet he played both
ways depending upon the material. Just common sense really. Here come the
flames ...

--- Rainer aus dem Spring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Howard Posner wrote:
> > Herbert Ward at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >

> >>According to my teacher, the lute thumb-out technique developed in the
> >>Baroque (post-Renaissance), as lutes acquired more courses (ie became
> >>wider), and had more complex bass lines.  So you may very well see old
> >>paintings showing both types of technique.
> >

> > It was already there in the 1500's, mostly in the South.
>
> Says who?
>
> > One theory is that
> > it was part of vihuela technique, and worked its way into Italy and then
> > north.
>
> Whose theory?
> Any evidence apart from Spanish sources?
>
> > Dowland's conversion to thumb-out almost certainly occurred before
> > 1600.
>
> Any evidence?
> Almost certainly certainly means "perhaps"?
>
> As you certainly know the only "evidence" for Dowland's "conversion" is
> Sloane 1021.
>
> Rainer adS

=====
web: http://www.christopherschaub.com