Dear Tom,

I am working backwards through my In Box, so I'm afraid my reply is
somewhat delayed.

Tendonitis and other physical problems are terrible things. They can
thwart one's aspirations, and ruin one's musical life. The main
thing is to keep making music, if you possibly can. The actual style
of music is, I believe, of little importance - early, contemporary,
jazz, ethno, whatever.

Playing the lute instead of the guitar is almost certainly a good
move for you, because the stringing is much lighter, and so the
fingers have less work to do to hold strings down on the
fingerboard. It is possible to try too hard, to press unnnecessarily
hard on the strings, for example, causing tension and possible
long-term problems. Where your thumb is in relation to the fingers
is another factor, which of course one cannot judge without seeing
how you play.

If you have already mastered a technique - guitar technique - a
technique which you know works fine - it will be hard to see the
advantages of an unfamiliar technique like thumb-under, which
probably makes you feel clumsy. However, I believe the renaissance
lute technique of thumb-under is far less stressful than modern
classical guitar technique. Unfortunately it is unlikely that you
will see all the advantages on your own. Having a lesson or two, or
simply watching others play, might help to show you how thumb-under
technique works. Certainly the right hand position involved with
thumb-inside is one where minimal effort is required. There are many
factors which may determine which technique is best for you, for
example the size of your hand and fingers, and whether or not your
thumb is on the short side.

However, you said your problem was with the left hand, so
experimenting with the right hand is of secondary importance. It is
impossible for anyone to give advice without actually seeing you
play, but there are some aspects of lute playing which are less
stressful than guitar playing:

1) Fewer barres. Of course there are barres in the music for both
instruments, but generally speaking there are fewer with the lute,
because 16th-century polyphony tends not to require the full chords
you might expect in more recent music. The texture is often thinner.

2) Chromatic fingering. Guitarists are taught to have one finger per
fret - to use the 1st finger for the 1st fret, the 2nd finger for
the 2nd fret, etc., like this:

____________________
____________________
____________________
____________________
____________________
_a__1b__2c__3d__4e__

You don't usually get chromatic scales like that in lute music, so
the need for that kind of hand position is less.

I'm generalising, of course, but my experience is that lute players
tend to use their little finger more than guitarists do, and lute
music may often involve just two frets. That means that the 1st and
2nd fingers may operate at the 2nd fret, while the 3rd and 4th
fingers operate at the 3rd fret:

__a_______________________
_2c____4d______|_2c____||_
____3d_____2c__|_3d____||_
_______________|_1c____||_
__a____1c______|__a____||_
_______________|_______||_

See how the 3rd and 4th fingers operate side by side at the same
fret, just as the 1st and 2nd fingers operate together at the 2nd
fret.

Now, you may be thinking, "That's obvious. I'd do that anyway on the
guitar." Fine. Maybe you would. What I am trying to say is that,
given an option, lutenists would go for that kind of fingering with
the fingers close together, where maybe a guitarist would stretch
along the strings with a tense, stretched-out hand.

3) The G chord. Guitarists tend to bring their 2nd finger to work in
tandem with the 3rd, where lutenists would do what I have described
above, i.e. use 1st and 2nd together, and 3rd and 4th together. What
I mean is summed up in the G chord on a guitar. Many guitarists
would play:

_3d__
__a__
__a__
__a__
_1c__
_2d__

whereas a lutenist playing a guitar would tend to prefer:

_4d__
__a__
__a__
__a__
_2c__
_3d__ .

OK, you might do that on a guitar sometimes too, but, given the
choice, lutenists would normally avoid the first option. (I keep the
tuning the same to make my point easier.)

4) Avoid the 4th finger on low courses. This is part of the idea of
maintaining chromatic fingering on the guitar. A guitarist might
conceivably play

__1b_______a___a__
______3d___a__1b__
__________________
___a______________
_______________a__
__________4e______

whereas a lutenist will play

__1b_______a___a__
______4d___a__1b__
__________________
___a______________
_______________a__
__________3e______ .

The 3rd finger is longer than the 4th, so it makes sense to use the
3rd finger to reach across the fingerboard, even if it means that it
ends up playing at a higher fret than the 3rd finger.

I am no physician, and even if I understood the workings of the
human body, I wouldn't be able to diagnose from afar exactly why you
get tendonitis. However, I would advise looking for ways of playing
which reduce tension, like considering different ways of fingering,
and to practise for very short spells at a time.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.

Greetings one and all, from the UK (just outside Bath)! I am new
here, and
also new to the lute. I come from the guitar, and began playing the
lute about
two months ago. I had to retire early from the world of academic
music (most
serial, I fear) due to tendonitis in my left hand, didn't play for
some fifteen
years, and then discovered I could have my beloved guitar adjusted
so that I
could at least play it again, though not the real virtuoso pieces I
once
inflicted on others. Art Robb, the lute builder, who adjusted my
guitar for me,
suggested playing the lute as less strenuous on the hand than the
guitar. I knew a
fair amount of lute music from guitar transcriptions, and in spite
of having
an ear more attuned to Boulez and Messiaen than Dowland,
nevertheless loved
the music. So he built me a lute, and a couple of months ago it was
ready.

I've got down to learning it, using books by Diana Poulton and
Andrea
Damiani, and am already playing pieces by Hans Judenkunig (how on
earth did he get
that name?), Hans Newsidler, and the like. As I have no teacher to
ask, nor do I
know anyone who plays the lute (not quite the done thing in the
serial
circles I used to move in), I wonder if I could, as Art Robb
suggested, bother you
with a few questions?

When I started, I tried, as recommended, placing the little finger
of the
right hand on the soundboard, playing with the thumb inside the
hand. But
frankly, I fail to see the advantage of doing any of this. Keeping
the little finger
on the soundboard simply limits the scope of the right hand, while
the thumb
inside the other fingers seems to make life unnecessarily difficult,
especially
when playing anything even vaguely polyphonic. I understand the
point of
using the thumb to stress the strong beats, but it seems to work
just as well
using a guitar right-hand technique.

I have also examined a vast number of paintings of people playing
the lute,
and there seems to be no unanimity as to whether the thumb should be
held
inside the hand, or as with the guitar. Indeed, while the Damiani
book has a photo
of him playing with the thumb inside the hand, the Poulton book has
a painting
on the cover which looks suspiciously like the guitar position. So I
have
stuck with the guitar position for the right hand, and this seems to
work very
well, at least I can't imagine the music would sound that different
with the
thumb inside the hand. As I have no ambitions to become a
professional lutenist,
just play for the pleasure of learning something new, does it matter
which way
one holds the right hand? Are there any real advantages to be gained
from the
'thumb-inside' position?

I will leave it at that today, as I have no desire to get on your
collective
nerves with my naďve queries, but there are a number further
questions which I
would be glad to ask, if anyone should have the time, and the
kindness, to
answer them. Kindest regards to all

Tom Beck