On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 11:29 AM, Michael Thames wrote:

>   Let me state my intentions, and I will take all viewpoints to heart
> in =
> the matter. I would like to put these unedited facsimiles That I
> bought =
> from Tree publishing on my website for free downloading, as well =
> transcribe a version for guitar.  Nowhere in the edition does it say =
> anything about copyrights etc.and there is absolutely no editing, just
> =
> Xerox copies of the original Tablature, period.

People publish photos on the Internet all the time, that they or
someone originally paid money for.  No-one seems to have any problem
with that, at least that I've ever heard of.  However, if I personally
was charging money for photos on the 'net, I would not think very
highly of someone who came along and distributed them for free.  But
that aside, it's the guitar transcription that might cause a few raised
eyebrows.

I tell you what:  if you truly think that you would be in the right,
then I imagine you will not hesitate to do say so.  So go ahead and
upload photos of all the pages from this Tree edition you're talking
about, and your own guitar arrangements made from those pages, only be
sure to include a clear statement that you have made guitar
arrangements of these pages without the permission of Tree Editions.
That in fact you believe that you do not need their permission to do
this.  And then sit back and see what, if anything, happens.  I for one
would be curious to see what would happen.

Regards,

David Rastall