On Tuesday 02 December 2003 14:19, Daniel Shoskes wrote:
Dear Daniel,
some answers because I saw nobody replied to you.
> Things I have wondered about (and never thought to post as individual
> questions):
>
> 1) What are the early signs that lute strings and frets need to be
> replaced? (short of the obvious late decomposition)
You start retuning the string every time again and it's still wrong in
different positions. I turn the frets 180 degrees sometimes because I'm to
lazy to replace them. early signs are the clear dip in the fret; it's to far
when the string is touching the next fret.

> 3) I recently downloaded a wonderful piece by Vallet called Malsimmes. Any
> indication if this should be a slow or fast piece? It seems to work either
> way.
There is no indication. It's a dance-like piece found also in Van den Hove.
Because of it's character I would prefer to play it not too slow, but not
fast.

> 5) For those of you who play Ren and Baroque, is it reasonable to learn
> both at the same time or does it make more sense to achieve a fairly high
> level of technique in one before switching to lessons exclusively on the
> other?
I would certainly not start on both instruments at the same time. Renaissance
lute is preferred as start instrument because of the many available easy
pieces and printed sources. It's also not a good idea because of the
different finger techniques.

> 6) I notice that some Rennaisance tablature archives have the letters
> placed in the spaces and others have them on the lines. The few facsimilies
> I have seen seem to be only in the spaces. Are there different conventions?

Depends on the original source. Some of these source have printed the
tablature through the lines, some on the lines. There are certainly several
facsimiles which show tablature characters through lines (Besard, Adriaensen
..)
Taco