"Stewart McCoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> 2) Chromatic fingering. Guitarists are taught to have one finger per
> fret - to use the 1st finger for the 1st fret, the 2nd finger for
> the 2nd fret,
>
> I'm generalising, of course, but my experience is that lute players
> tend to use their little finger more than guitarists do, and lute
> music may often involve just two frets. That means that the 1st and
> 2nd fingers may operate at the 2nd fret, while the 3rd and 4th
> fingers operate at the 3rd fret:

I was taught to use pairs of fingers, rather, and to avoid using neighbouring fingers
on
scales, i.e. 1st and 3rd/4th work together as well 2nd and 4th, but not 1st and 2nd,
2nd
and 3rd, 3rd and 4th. It applies to both renaissance and baroque lute. Main advantage
of
that fingering is physical enhancement of single fingers and, at the same time, relief
of
muscles. E.g.

--------------------------------------a-r2-d4-
------------------------------a-b1-d4---------
----------------------a-b1-d4-----------------

--
Best wishes,

Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/ Germany, T/F +49 -
421 -
165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]