Arto,

I read the article but noticed that the dendrochronologist didn't specifically
mention dating a representative sample of Stradivari (or other Cremonese) soundboards
he's using as evidence --- other than the "Messiah".  One section from the article
also kind of struck me as kind of misleading:

"We would suggest that the narrow tree rings that identify the Maunder Minimum in
Europe played a role in the enhanced sound quality of instruments produced by the
Cremona [Italy] violinmakers," Grissino-Mayer and Burckle write, noting that "narrow
tree rings would not only strengthen the violin but would increase the wood's
density."

Since both the connection of cold weather (cold winter/cool summers) and narrow tree
rings, and the mini "ice age" of the Maunder Minimum has also been known for some
time, the author seems to forget a few of very important points:

1. Luthiers (often) hoard tonewood, and in the past have been known to buy and possess
stock that has been seasoning as part of a previous maker's inventory.

2. Luthiers choose the stock they build instruments from, not (usually) the other way
around -- it's part of their job to select the best material available for the job,
and reject what isn't acceptable.

3. Density is not the only important point to consider for an instrument top -- other
factors such as strength, flexibility (springiness), internal stress, runout, etc must
also be weighed in as part of the equation.

I guess I'll have to get a copy of the article and read it for myself, because CNN has
probably butchered his thesis to the point that it sounds overly-simplistic and
misleading.  I hope at least that he dated the lines on a representative sample of
Strad, Amati, Maggini and Da Salo instruments, (maybe even a Tieffenbrucker lute or
two) and possibly even on more instruments than just fiddles before trying to prove
his point.

It probably wouldn't hurt to also look into who Stradivarius (et al) bought their wood
from, the state of deforestation in Northern Italy, the political climate at the time
and it's effects on the Spruce/Pine/Larch trade, and maybe, just maybe get a luthier
and an organologist who specializes in Violin-family instrument construction involved
in the dialectic (assuming the full paper hasn't taken the above into account)....

It's an interesting story, but the brevity of the CNN article kind of makes him sound
a bit like all of the Strad-varnish-cult explanations that have been put forth over
the years.

I guess the biggest problem I have with the article is that it doesn't take into
account that the violin had by that time undergone some 125 years of development and
much was passed down in a fairly unbroken tradition from master to apprentice in that
time. The article also implies that the wood drove the success of the violin without
regard to changing musical tastes/styles and the importance of the evolving state of
the art in luthiery.

It's also important to note that some of the old Brescian and Cremonese fiddles now
have up to 400 years of thermal cycling and playing (and repairs), that can often make
their tops respond much differently than when they were first built.

Since the woods were not just used to build fiddles, and since different types of
stringed instruments require slightly different properties in their soundboards,
perhaps it would also serve to explore what effects that the more dense wood had on
the early guitar, late lutes and viols as well -- but then we would also have the
problem that musical fashion may have had just as much influence on the popularity of
the instruments as the "Maunder minimum" wood.

Lastly, we have the problem of the Strad's extant instruments all being perceived to
be masterworks.  Instruments usually either survive time because of their cultural
association, intrinsic worth, beauty, or functionality.  Important or beautiful
instruments often get packed away and not touched -- good playing instruments often
get rehabilitated or modernized.  The stinkers most often get burned, broken up, or
allowed to fall into dust.  That's the Strad I'd like to see included in the
discussion -- one or more that just didn't make it to the finishing room.

Sorry about my rambling -- it's just that there's more to any instrument than the
combined sum of it's parts and maker.  Studying them out of context with the social
element they participate in (or not) isn't good science.

I'd also really like to hear what any lute/violin makers on the list have to say about
the article.

Ron Banks

Arto Wikla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Patrick,

you wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/12/08/stradivarius.secret.ap/index.html
>
> This is an interesting story about the wood that was used by
> Stradivari; the "Little Ice Age" that gripped Europe from the mid-1400s
> until the mid-1800s that slowed tree growth and yielded uncommonly dense
> Alpine spruce.
> What does this mean for us? Were soundboards like this used for lutes,
> and is it possible for us to replicate this kind of wood.

This is a very interesting idea! But if is is true, you still can find
this dense spruce today from here very north, from my Finland. ;-)
And of course also from Canada and Russia! We have lots and lots of
dense spruce in our wast forests, just take a look to the map!

By the way, my tiny chitarrino, renaissance guitar, see
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/LutePics/Chitarrino.gif
has its soundboard made of 1500 century wood! The maker, Finnish
lutenist Eero Palviainen, managed to buy a small part of the wall
of a 1500 century house in Central Europe, and he used that material
for my instrument! Perhaps that explains the very good and strong
sound of my chitarrino?

Arto