Doc and Roman,

I haven't seen the original, and am not going to search for it as Lute List
stuff comes to me in two places (a note to all on that at the end of this).

But reading the two comments it would seem that there is a semantic problem.
The Western world spent years settling on a set of scales which have finally
come down to two in common modern usage (with some exceptions, the Simon and
Garfunkel "Scarborough Fair" is Dorian rather than the Aolian that is
"relative minor" of the "Do-Re-Mi" tonic).

>From the Middle Ages on the society was heavily Church centered, and that
was the Christian Church. So much of the development of the music (from
unison through polyphony) was centered on sacred music. That was where the
money was (better said, that was where a composer could find a patron to
support him). The Pagan music of the Norse is yet preserved in folk tunes,
and I have a collection for harp of those, but the scales are basically the
western modes. The Islamic and Judaic of the Middle East are a different
form, using a more flexible sliding scale, the sounds of the Eastern
European Judaic music are a bit of a combination of each. The Oriental a
whole 'nother thing. And the African entirely missed the boat of polyphony
and harmony, but instead made a very interesting trip into polyrythym. And
that fascinates me. I can sing a downward 11th, but to beat the sounds of a
polyrythym is beyond me (although I can appreciate it when I hear it).

So it is not a matter of which is best, or more advanced. It is a matter of
what our ears are trained to hear at an early age (and what we learn in our
later years). In the west the development of music was done both in the
countryside and in the church, but as the church was a primary influence in
the society at the time much of it was done there. It is not Christian
theology that made the music, it is the Christian orientation of the society
that led the composers to make music for the church. I have mentioned that I
play the psaltery, the Psalters were hymnbooks specific to the Protestant
Christians who revolted against the Roman Catholic liturgy for its use of
"modern fancy music". The words to the music had to be taken directly from
the scriptures (and Mat, don't correct me too hard on this, it is meant to
be brief).

Memorable has several meanings. Is it historically memorable? Or memorable
to me? To be historically memorable it has to have a good base of listeners
and players, and without people like this lute list the lute music of the
Renaissance would be forgotten. Who knows what the lyre player played when
accompanying Homer, the Greek tetra chord is only guessed at (and as Homer
himself wasn't written down until about 400 years after his death, who knows
what he really said).

Pardon the diatribe, but the topic isn't new to me. I've seen it on the harp
list as well. Music is an expression by people, and as such also by a
people. And in that expression they may celebrate their religion, or just
their joy in living. It matters not which, if the music is good then it is
memorable - as long as there is a people to enjoy that particular music.

Best, Jon