Dear Matanya,

Yes, I do seem to be contradicting myself, so perhaps I may
elaborate a little. I think a lot depends on how much experience one
has with any particular notation. For a complete beginner tablature
will be easier to read, because it by-passes the concept of pitch
and goes straight to the fingerboard. There are no sharps and flats
to worry about. However, with time and lots of playing, those
tablature letters acquire a meaning which embraces pitch as well as
position on the fingerboard. An experienced player can sing from
tablature or (if he is a pianist) play it straight onto the piano.
The tuning would have to be a familiar one, otherwise he will be
back to square one as a beginner, deducing a position on the
fingerboard, but not pitch.

My own experience is that the same thing happens in reverse with
staff notation. For a beginner the notes of staff notation represent
pitch only, and he has to learn where those notes are on his
instrument. Eventually the idea of pitch and position on the
fingerboard become so intertwined, that staff notation becomes a
sort of tablature. A notation designed to show pitch ends up being
one which the player eventually associates with the lay-out of his
fingerboard.

When I play the tenor viol, I read fluently from the alto clef. Yet
if you asked me to read from that clef on the modern guitar, I would
struggle, at least to start with, because the notes of the alto clef
mean more than just pitch to me. I associate them with the viol
fingerboard, and I would get all confused trying to transfer it to
the guitar.

As you know from previous messages, I believe lute players should be
familiar with both staff notation and tablature. The question is,
which
should a beginner learn first? That's the $64,000 question. :-)

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.