Stewart wrote:

[BIG SNIP]

> As you know from previous messages, I believe lute players should be
> familiar with both staff notation and tablature. The question is,
> which
> should a beginner learn first? That's the $64,000 question. :-)

Stewart, as usual you make some very good points. I agree that it is important for a
lutenist, or any musician for that matter, to be familiar with both standard notation
and whatever other system is relevant to their particular instrument. I play with a
consort and and tend to read off standard notation for the continuo I provide. For
solo pieces, or accompaniment to vocalists I'll play off tablature.

As to which one to learn first...I don't have an answer. I can say, however, that I've
acquired two students, one of them a new musician, and the other a guitarist, neither
of whom read standard notation. I am teaching them tablature as I teach them the lute,
but I will encourage both to learn standard notation.

Regards,
Craig