Dear Stewart

<snip>

> However, her evidence is drawn from a wide period of time, and
> doesn't really explain why the Spanish should have printed music for
> the vihuela and not the lute, in the 40 years from Luis Milan (1536)
> to Estaban Daza (1576).

Does this mean that the books in that period contained pieces in Spanish
tablature that were perfectly playable on the lute because of the tuning,
but were entitled "Pieces for Vihuela"? (Sorry I don't do Spanish).  If so,
the difference seems a bit academic as presumably everyone would know that
they could play it on either instrument.  From what you say about the
iconographic evidence that lutes were being played, it is difficult to
imagine the lutenists going down to the local music shop and saying "Oh
damn, they're still only churning out vihuela music".  Does what you say
mean that till 1535 (after 1576 is perhaps less important) they _were_
producing lute music.

Going back to your earlier reply to Jon, how do we recognize a vihuela piece
in a (later, non Spanish) lute collection?  Is it because the earliest known
version was published in that period in Spain?

Yours,

Tony