Dear Arto and friends,

Roman is completely right. There is abundant Spanish
iconography from the 15th century, less so from the
16th, showing lutes. I don`t have the information
about the sources at hand right now, but if there is
interest I could compile a list over the weekend. On
the other hand, to address your question about the
attitudes of Spanish society towards the lute in the
16th century, I can give you the answer in a nutshell
(slightly different from received opinion): the
guitar, as is commonly held, was a truly popular
instrument; the vihuela was widely esteemed throughout
the social scale and not only among the higher classes
as is generally believed; but the instrument favoured
by nobility and upper classes was, precisely, the
lute. (The long and detailed answer is my Ph.D.
dissertation, which draws evidence from a wide variety
of sources, buy I shant bore you with those details).
It still remains to find a satisfactory explanation
for the fact that no music was printed specificaly for
the lute, as Ariel and Stewart pointed out, but I
believe we can now rule out the argument about dislike
for arab culture.

With best regards,
Antonio