Dear Tom,

I think you are quite wrong to suggest that Beethoven's Eroica
Symphony with its structurally significant pauses might be more
interesting than the continuous clanking of a badly tempered cow
bell. The cow bell is unquestionably superior, since it succinctly
challenges our crude perception of the meaning of silence. We have
had centuries of going out into the fields to enjoy the peace of the
countryside, and listen appreciatively to silence with our friends,
to savour the pastoral tranquillity, as we watch the cows grazing in
the meadow, ruminating over the greater order of things. The arrival
of the cow bell is a hugely significant moment in the history of
silence, since at last it forces us to address questions such as the
importance of the European cow. It may be Boulez to the French, but
to the Americans, who see everything differently from Europeans,
it's a load of bull....

One of the reasons I enjoy lute music is because it is music, pure
and simple. It is unpretentious. It doesn't require us to feel
challenged, to address issues, to reject our history, or to make
ugly comparisons between nations based on stereotype or prejudice.
It is a thing of rare beauty, complete in itself, in a world where
there are so many nasty things. People of all ages and all nations
may be uplifted by music. Call it escapism, if you will, but the
destructive ideas of John Cage and his ilk have no place in the
world of lutes. He should be barred.

Best wishes,

Stewart.