Dear Stephan and list:

Unfortunately, some people take any disagreement with
their point of view as a personal attack and react
"vigorously" to that.

I just joined this list a few days ago, but I've been
on several music lists in the past, and the same
things happen.  We musicians often have strong
personalities and those sometimes clash when there is
a difference of opinion..........

I can see very plainly a reason why someone might be
offended by this discussion of the origins of
Gregorian chant.  Being part of a religious tradition
and having long-held beliefs challenged is very
difficult for many people.

However, I would like to point out that any research
into topics relating to early music and its connection
with religion is always worthwhile, even if it
challenges people.  The point of this research is
ultimately the truth that so many people search for in
their faith.

Getting back on topic of the lute, I wanted to share
with you lutenists some very interesting experiences
about the use of the 'oud that I learned in Yemen
while I lived there.

The 'oud and the few people that play it in Yemen seem
to be very highly prized.  The instrument is used
often in Yemeni traditional music, and is one of the
few instruments ever utilized to accompany traditional
songs.

Upper class weddings usually feature a singer, and
this is often times accompanied by a drummer and an
'oud player.

There is other music, particularly in northern Yemen,
which is just for 'oud and drum at these gatherings
(which are all male; Yemeni weddings have a separate
wedding party for the bride and groom with the guests
often numbering in the hundreds).  Very interesting
stuff.

The music is less melodic than it is percussive.  The
'oud players show some real virtuosity in these
pieces.  I was never to find recordings, but I also
found myself wandering in and out of conversations
while really trying to get a grasp on this music.  The
rhythms are very complicated and I can only imagine
that these pieces are rather difficult  for the 'oud
player as well.  I believe much of it to be
improvisational in nature.

So, if you are ever in Yemen, and invited to a
wedding, make sure you go because you may hear some
very interesting music being played on the 'oud.
Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to really talk
with the musicians (they often move from wedding to
wedding on the same day)and examine their instruments
or how it is notated.  My social obligations at these
functions just didn't allow enough time for that.

Just thought that I'd add that interesting bit of
ethnomusicology to the discussion.

Titan Rodick
Seattle, WA

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/1/0,1872,2084833,00.html