Dear all,

Am I right to assume that Bach's music is the only music to require that low Gg -
fourteeth course?

The ambiguity and terminology of description for this lute has always been a bit of
problem for me. When asked what instrument I play and Courses versus `number of
strings', it becomes a mouthful.  I am asked:  `What instrument do you play?'  I play
a 14 course German theorbo, is usually my reply.  But then explaining that each course
has two `doubled-up' strings but the first two are single, making a sum total of
twenty-six NOT twenty-eight strings...  Then there is `fourteen course??!' - I thought
the Baroque lute has thirteen courses? My response is: `Yes, a Gg tp play Bach's BWV
995, 1997, & 1000'  Almost finally, but is it really a theorbo or a Baroque lute?
`Yes it is a theorbo because it has the extra bass pegbox'.  Why the German bit? `It
is based on a lute constructed by JCHoffmann who was German...'.  End of breath...

I bet a guitarist does not get this, six strings will do!  hehe.

Regards,

Michael Stitt