Dear Arto,

the problem is that there are people around not so lucky as I am (and as
obviously you are) which *have to* play the BWVs ...

I share your feelings regarding the Bach works in so far as the effort
you need to invest to get acceptable results is too high. And they are
not among the best written for the lute (if Bach's works should be
counted among works written for the lute).

One easier solution is what Martin Junge did: put the music on a
10-course or an archlute taking it as what it is - a transcription.
I even seldom hear the Fuga BWV 1000 played as it is written. Most
lutenists "borrow" from the violin/guitar version (BWV 1001). Bach's so
called lute work obviously has something arbitrary.
I really enjoyed the idea of Rolf Lislewand (was it him?) to record just
the transcriptions by Falckenhagen and Weyrauch which are at least
historical lute works. To play arrangements as "Bach's lute- or still
better guitarworks" is not honest IMHO.

Best wishes
Thomas

Best wishes