Dear Donatella,

I'm not sure - there were many different types of lute around at Bach's
day. Just as an example the low G usually would fit the tessitura of an
archlute - giving the italian connections of the courts it would be
understandable how this mistake could happen. Or - another possibility:
It was even intended to be played on an archlute (which would make the
complete work much easier).

If you tune the 13th course down to g you will need to change the A
which seldom but occassionally appears in the suite. So this would point
into a similar direction: Bach wouldn't have known the tessitura of the
baroque lute.
Actually I don't think the work, even if dedicated to someone who is
known to have played the lute, is arranged for a lute in baroque tuning.

Writing such awkward difficult (if possible to play at all) compositions
would have been considered bad at Bach's time.

Best wishes
Thomas